Friday, November 28, 2008

Post-Thanksgiving Thoughts

It is the day after Thanksgiving. Coincidentally, it is also my father's birthday. This is the day I choose to write my first post on this blog. Why? I have no idea, that's just the way it turned out. This morning I spent with my family, (mom, dad, sister, brother, cousins, aunt, and uncle) going to museums and walking around the city. (Washington D.C.)

In a few days I will be packing up everything and returning to school. Only about three more weeks until my final exam and I am already stressing out! I'm a freshman at Boston University. Coming from a small high school of only 560 kids, BU was a big change for me. I think I'm starting to get into the swing of things, but all it takes is one bad exam and then I know I'll be freaking out again. Right now I am taking ethics, science, humanities, and sociology course. My sociology course is called "Sexuality and Social Life." It's a really great class and I absolutely love my professor (even though she probably still does not remember my name.) Anyway the professor is young, only like 30 years old but looks even younger, is a feminist, gay rights activist, and jokes all the time about how she gave in and got married. After prop 8 passed she announced to the class that she told her husband she wanted a divorce because she didn't believe in the institution of marriage anymore. She is having us do group projects. My group chose to do a documentary on sexuality and sex on college campuses. It's going relatively well, though I really wish we had more time to work on it. It's been difficult trying to find time that all of our group members have in common. In high school I had classes 6 days a week! That's right, 6. I went to a boarding prep school in Connecticut. So, of course, when I came to college I expected to have all the free time in the world with an actual weekend. But it turns out that time flies even faster in college, when you have so many things you have to do, and so many things you want to do.

And that brings me to my newfound love... Boston. I absolutely love this city. I lived in a small town all my life, where I had to drive 20 min. to get to a Starbucks for God's sake! In Boston I can go to the movie theater, window shop (or splurge and buy one or two things) on Newbury or Charles St., work out at the FitRec, watch a play, see a concert... all just by walking! Of course, there's the T which makes my entertainment possibilities virtually endless. Now, I know that the T gets a bad rep, but in most cases it's really not that bad. I generally only wait about 5-10 minutes to get on. My only complaint is that they shut down way too early! They would make so much money if they kept the trains running past midnight (especially on the weekends). They're missing out on prime-time for college students. Students come back after parties at like 1 or 2 in the morning, and the T is closed. So what happens? A bunch of drunk kids start wandering around the streets of Boston, everyone grabs the nearest cab, storms the BUS, or just crashes where they are. Sorry, that's enough about the T. Really, I have all the love in the world for the train that brings me to Cambridge or the South End. I remember at the Swell Season concert at Agganis, this local guy sang a song about the T called Charlie Runs. Really good song actually. If I can remember what his website was I'll post it later.

Well, I guess that is all for now. I have to try and make a dent in my seemingly endless pile of homework. Thanksgiving Break is so not relaxing. It's more of a time bomb... I can hear the ticking sounds of doom calling out to me from finals week. That said, hope you enjoyed the first entry. Feel free to post some comments. And hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving day!

No comments: